Our body speaks in subtle ways and because of this, the first thing we must do is quiet our mind and external stimulation. It can be as simple as just sitting or lying in a quiet room to remove external stimulation. Quieting the mind can be a little more challenging and may take practice. One of the easiest ways I have found to do this is through the breath.
- Sit or lay in a quiet space. If it helps you can have soft, slow music playing.
- Take a few deep breaths. Allow the belly to fill first, then the chest.
- Allow your body to take over the breath and be aware of it without trying to control it.
- Feel where the breath goes, what parts of your body move with it?
- If you find thoughts or worries coming in, that's okay. Just keep bringing your self back to the awareness of your breath.